- This event has passed.
Preserving PDF: identify, validate, repair
1st Sep 2014 - 2nd Sep 2014
This event will focus on the PDF file format. Participants are encouraged to contribute requirements, for instance sample files with errors or anomalies for investigation. Currently available identification and validation tools will be demonstrated, with the opportunity to compare results using your own collections and identify gaps for future development.
OPF members have identified specific tasks for the event:
- check the validity of the files and whether they are encrypted;
- perform quality assurance checks after migration, using comparison tools;
- investigate error messages, repair the problems, and build a knowledge base; and
- document and improve open source tool functionality e.g. JHOVE validation.
There will also be discussion sessions, and the opportunity to share experiences with peer organisations.
Olaf Drümmer, Chairman of the PDF Association / CEO of callas software GmbH / DIN delegate to all PDF related working groups in ISO TC 171 and ISO TC 130 since 1999, will present the work of the ISO standards body, including efforts related to PDF and PDF/A, and share the industry perspective on tool development.
- Learn about PDF and PDF/A standards
- Document and prioritise known preservation problems with PDF files
- Assess state of the art identification and validation tools
- Test the tools on sample files and compare the results
- Define organisational requirements and policies for conformance
- Identify requirements for future development work (road-mapping)
- Help improve current PDF tools (hacking)
Who should attend?
- Collection owners with a responsibility to preserve PDFs. Bring along your problem files!
- Developers interested in hacking PDF identification and validation tools.
The agenda can be seen at:http://wiki.opf-labs.org/display/KB/2014-09-01+Preserving+PDF+-+identify%2C+validate%2C+repair
OPF members are invited free-of-charge (please use the code issued to your main point of contact at your organisation). Non-members are welcome at the rate of EUR 150.<
Registration is now closed.