- This event has passed.
Open Source with OPF: Digital Preservation at your Command
8th Nov 2012 : 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
This webinar demonstrates the use of linux command line tools to create quick manifests of digital material. Similar results can be achieved on Windows machines with Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/) installed.
There are demonstrations of the following tools:
- find– to locate content and recurse directory structures.
- md5sum / sha256sum– to create checksums of content.
- the file utility– to identify digital content formats.
- grep, sort, & cut– to summarise results into a basic manifest / profile (and perhaps a little sed)…
This session is aimed at:
- Practitioners with basic IT skills looking to get some hands on experience of using command line tools perform some basic digital preservation tasks.
- Developers who are new to Digital Preservation, or inexperienced with the use of linux command line tools.
Carl Wilson, Open Preservation Foundation